Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Brand new Sony Walkman, £29.39

I’d decided I was going to be a bit more active with this blog and to get me started I was going to try and add something to it every day this week.

Except when I got up this morning I couldn’t think of anything to write!

I decided not to worry and to wait and see what the journey to work would bring.

Cue the most uneventful drive to work ever. The only thing of any interest that happened was I missed the end of Janet and John on Terry Wogan’s show because I was going through the Clyde tunnel but that’s hardly enough to warrant a blog post.

Not to worry, I thought, the morning will bring something of interest.

It didn’t.

But praise be to God/Buddha/Allah* delete as appropriate, lunch time brought a thin sliver of interest.

My work colleague Robert recently purchased an Italian phrase book (complete with audio cassette) as he’s going to Italy for a holiday.

This being not the 80’s he doesn’t own a cassette player of any type so we set out at lunch time to find one.

We tried Argos, ah good old Argos, they had two choices of personal cassette player, a Sony walkman or an Argos branded one.

The Argos branded one was a tenner and guaranteed to be rubbish. The Sony one was nearly £30!

How can you possibly charge £30 for a personal cassette player in this day and age.

Needless to say Argos got skipped.

We made our way along the High Street and found a homewares shop. We went inside and asked the guy in there if they had any cassette players.

The guy said “Any what?”

“Cassette players? Like a Sony Walkman or something?”

“Pffft, no!”

That was that idea scoofed then, the cheeky get.

Two shops further down though he managed to get one. Ten quid for a decent looking personal cassette player and it’s got a radio! Though I was a bit upset it didn’t have the headphones with the orange sponge.



Take that Argos and cheeky homeware guy!

No comments: