Monday, March 09, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I went to see slumdog millionaire on Saturday.

It was really good, a very enjoyable film.

The two young boys and girl at the start who were playing the characters as kids were fantastic; they were worth the ticket price alone.

The night started for me and my wife with us dropping the kids off at my Mum’s house. That went smoothly as the kids love visiting their Gran.

We got to the cinema a few minutes before the film was due to start, we both got nachos with cheese and an enormous bucket of Pepsi.

We went in to get our seats; there weren’t many people there, about a dozen or so couples dotted around the place.

We took our seats and settled in; just before the film started two ladies came in and sat in the seats directly in front of us. My wife and I looked at each other in amazement as if to say “out of the entire nearly empty cinema why did they choose to sit right in front of us?” but as they were both quite short we just ignored them.

The film went by at a decent pace using that back and forth flashback style that Danny Boyle uses to good effect.

I won’t say anything about the film so as not to spoil it for anybody except for this, the guy playing the host of the quiz show couldn’t say millionaire. He pronounced it millinaire, which made me think he was saying “who wants to be a milliner” which is a different game show altogether!

Slumdog Milliner: the story of a young man who fights his way out of poverty to become a world famous hat designer.

Apart from that the film was awesome and I’d highly recommend it.

Once the film was over we went to my Mum’s to pick up the kids. They’d had a great night and didn’t want to come home. This point was made apparent when my son (who is 4) said to his Gran “Gran, can I stay here?” she replied, “Why do you want to stay here?” and with a contemptuous glance over his shoulder at us he replied “I don’t like that family”!

Kids eh?

No comments: